The first thing you should learn is that Dota 2 is a very difficult game. No jokes or exaggerations. There are several difficulties of how to play dota 2 for beginners:
- If you haven’t played a MOBA before, getting to know the basic mechanics can be tricky.
- The game has a whole bunch of everything: heroes, items, mechanics, bundles, bugs, and features. To understand and remember everything, you need to play far more than one evening. I need more than 400 hours)
- Due to its difficulty, Dota 2 is a very competitive and toxic game with a rough community. Even in “fun” modes, people are toxic, let alone rating matchmaking. Be ready to “mute”, that is, to drown out, nasty players.
But this is not the main thing, now directly to how to start playing Dota 2.
How to start playing dota 2? Installing guide and in-game tutorial
- Register on Steam (if you haven’t already done that) — https://steamcommunity.com/
- Install Steam on a PC
- Download Dota 2, the game is free-to-play – https://store.steampowered.com/app/570/Dota_2/
After installation, the first thing you need to do is to complete the training. Previously, the training system for beginners in Dota was an outright meme, but over time the situation has improved. Now learning in the game is not so miserable.
To get training in Dota 2, go to the Knowledge Base tab. Inside are small tasks that will introduce you to the basic mechanics of the game.
After that, start playing. At first, it is better not to play with people. Instead, play a few matches with bots. The bigger, the better.
Dota 2 strategy and heroes for beginners
The whole action takes place on the standard map of Dota 2. The two sides of Radiant and Dire are at war with each other. The main building is Ancient, and the main goal of the game is to destroy the enemy Ancient. There are three lines leading to it, the central, lower and upper, and the heroes of both sides face them. Also on both sides, there is its Jungle, a place full of neutral creeps. It’s all better to see in practice.
It’s better to start with simple heroes, but over time you need to be ready to climb a step higher. Not a bad start – the filter is difficult in the hero selection menu during the match, as well as in the Heroes tab. The filter is in the lower right corner.
We advise you to get acquainted with the heroes in the game with bots or in demo mode. What is demo mode? Let’s say you want to understand how Sniper works. In the hero grid, simply start typing Sniper and the game will highlight the hero on its own. After that, go to its page and click the test button. You will find yourself in a special lobby with infinite gold, in which you can activate a variety of settings. For example, enable or add dummy bots. The most important thing is to get acquainted with the skills of the hero and a variety of combinations.
How can I play dota 2 and have fun?
One of the best ways to learn how to play dota 2 online is to play it with your friends. This greatly reduces the possibility of toxic teammates in the match. If your friend is more enlightened, he will be a good mentor for you. Remember that this is just a game and you should not take the statements of other players seriously. If you don’t succeed, don’t give up, even the best players started from scratch.